Sunday, January 01, 2006

If I could turn back time...I don't think I would

So I ran 27 minutes yesterday. Felt good after it was done, and my recovery time is speeding up. I went to the store and got a lot of good food for the next two weeks; chicken, turkey, vegetables, etc.

My goal is to flush out my system starting tomorrow. A lot of water and veggies, try to stay away from a lot of sodium, sugar and caffeine. I have been eating so poorly recently, and I hope I can just cut off the bad food and not crave anything.

The only thing that could slow that down is my father's funeral is tomorrow. I fear some of the out of towners might want to meet up for lunch after the funeral, and I don't want any type of temptation.

So I realize, after reading that, that it sounds quite cold. Before you judge me, let me explain. My real father left my mother when she was 3 months pregnant with me (and my 3 older siblings). I have never lived with my real father, and, in all reality, he has never had much of a presence in my life. Purposely. He worked hard at not being a part of my life. So, when I think of his funeral, it is more of something I will do for my siblings than for myself. There was one time in the 90's when he had the chance to at least have a relationship with me.

His sister died, and he while he was in town (he lived in Texas, and usually worked overseas) he had a separate dinner with most of his kids here. This is where I got to tell him that I was gay, which he had already been told (his first response was "How can you do that to little boys," and I had to explain the difference between homosexual and pedophile.) and he was going to make an effort to keep in touch. I got the first and only birthday card from him the next year in my life. I got a drunken phone call a few years later around Christmas time, and one message from his drunken fourth wife sometime, and that was it.

So now I think the only thing to slow down my plan is the funeral, or, more accurately, after the funeral. But I will be working my best to start tomorrow in full gear; eating better and running 28 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home