Tuesday, November 07, 2006

“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.” – John Quincy Adams

Today I do something that I first did on November 8, 1994. And something I did exactly 6 years ago today. I am voting against Rick Santorum.

I know should vote for something in the other candidate, whatever his name is. I know that what should count is a candidate’s principles. I actually liked Al Gore and John Kerry. I think both of them are better human beings than the person who won those elections. I think both had some good ideas and some great ideas, and they extolled virtues I believe in.

But that is what I am voting against today. Rick Santorum has been against me and my fellow homosexuals since that day he first got to congress. He has been against me and my fellow atheists. He has been against me and my fellow conservationists. He has been against me in every way that he has ever voted.

In defense of his anti-homosexual stance for equality in marriage, he said “In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever, to my knowledge, included homosexuality…It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever may be the case.” I can’t believe that he is able to compare to adults who want to commit to each other to man on dog, but that is how he thinks. And that is against me.

He is completely inflexible. He is stuck in this time frame where reality doesn’t exist. In his book he stated “The notion that college education is a cost-effective way to help poor, low-skill, unmarried mothers with high school diplomas or GEDs move up the economic ladder is just wrong.” Then he explains this by basically saying that women should be there to help their family, not out working. He doesn’t live in a world where a household needs two incomes.

But he was alright with taking money from the school district in a suburb of Pittsburgh to pay for his children to go to a cyber school in Virginia.

And finally, even though he talks about his catholic “faith” as if he has wraps himself in it to protect him and his family, wrote a book that encapsulated his faiths dogma, and has regularly quoted scripture, he finally admitted “I’ve never read the Bible cover to cover; maybe I should have.” Admitting that he really doesn’t know what he is talking about.

So I will cast my vote against this man who is against me and my beliefs. He has shown himself to be against not just my beliefs, but also against me personally. And so I have done this twice before, and I it didn’t work out the way I wanted. He won anyway. But I will vote my conscious. And I won’t get all wound up if the results tomorrow are the same as they were on November 9, 1994 & November 8, 2000. I should be used to it by now.

I’ll just come back from voting, run for 3 miles and eat some healthy food to bring my daily calorie intake to somewhere around 1600, and go to bed. And do it again tomorrow, no matter who is the junior senator from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

“Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." – H. L. Mencken

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home