Saturday, February 03, 2007

While your temple still survives, you at least are still alive



Wat Arun translates into Temple of the Dawn.  It is a Buddhist temple on the banks of the Chao Phraya river in Bangkok, and it is a most impressive looking temple. The central spire, called a prang, is the highlight of the temple. It rises about 80 meters up, and you can walk up the central prang to the doors.



Wat Arun is hundreds of years old, and oddly enough I couldn’t locate a reference that place that would put an exact date on when it was built, only that it was built while Ayutthaya was the capital, between 1350 & 1767. It was once home to the Emerald Buddha before that was moved to its current home in 1784
 
I did not visit Wat Arun when I was in Bangkok. These are two pictures I took while on the boat. We saw it from across the river, and the last day I was in Bangkok the sun was coming up behind it, and it looked magnificent. We were all packed up going to the train station to get up to Kanchanaburi, where the Bridge over the River Kwai is located.

So when Tom & I go to the Wat Arun next Saturday, it will be the first time I see it for myself up close. I am all sorts of excited!  Lots of pictures to come!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome. you can post pics now. sweet. i'm jealous, i wish i could travel to thailand too,

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Yes, and thank you for your help. Actually, it was the IE browser I was using. For some reason, it didn't show the add picture icon in blogger. Once I used the Opera browser, it showed the picture icon.

And you can travel to Thailand. If I can travel, anyone can. It isn't that expensive or daunting.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home