Wednesday, January 31, 2007

this is the house that funk built, groove armada style

I have been running this week, but not eating too well.

But I have run, 3.15 miles in 30 minutes Monday & Tuesday, and I plan on doing it again tomorrow, Friday & Saturday. Then take Sunday off and do it next Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. Then I will be ready for my trip.

Excited for the trip, but somewhat nerve wracked trying to plan for everything that needs to be done prior to leaving.

You’d think with all the traveling I’ve done since I bought the house 20 months ago that I’d be ready to leave it for some time, but 3 weeks just seems so very long. And with cats, garbage, recycling, shoveling and general upkeep of the house not to mention paying the appropriate bills, it is a long time.

I want to start profiling some of the expected highlights of our trip, but I am having trouble with the pictures and even the fucking hyperlink. For some reason, the only way my blog takes hyperlinks is when I do it on my laptop, not my desk top at home or any other computer I use. But my parents are using my laptop as their PC is fried (motherboard, I think – Thank you Carl!) and I don’t want to talk about these places without pictures or even possible links to websites with pictures. I suck at this.

Well, the first place to highlight is the Vimanmek Palace. This is the largest golden teakwood mansion in the world. The craftsmanship is phenomenal, the detail is almost impossible to believe. Vimanmek was originally built in 1900 by King Rama V, and then it was moved and reassembled perfectly at its present location in Bangkok a year later. The mansion actually was dormant for years, from about 1925 until in 1982 it was renovated to represent what it looked like at the time it was originally built and was opened to the public. With its western architectural style and thai style, it is the perfect fusion of east & west and a must see for anyone who loves architecture.

Just make sure, if you are western, you cover your legs. This is a one thing for western visitors to Thailand to remember – if you go into a royal palace, you must cover your legs & arms, and your sandals have to have ankle & heel straps.

Look up Vimanmek Palace on wikipedia, or check out vimanmek for more information. I have pictures of me there, but I can’t seem to figure out this shit yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home