Thursday, January 25, 2007

Being there at the right time, cheaper than a dime

Got the calcium chloride and it is working great on my driveway. There will be no more skating down my driveway in my car.

I didn’t end up running on Tuesday after doing it on Monday, only because I am working late, and after I got back from Lowe’s Home Improvement with the 50 lb bag of calcium chloride, finished shoveling my driveway and then salted it (I know I am not technically “salting” it, but that is how I will describe it – calcium chloriding my driveway doesn’t make any sense) it was after 8:30pm, time to make food and watch American Idol.

Yesterday morning proved to me why I need to keep up on the driveway. I went down my driveway, which I’d freshly salted at 5:00 am, and stopped as a dump truck flew past my car, going so fast that my car shook as it went past. Had that truck been going down there at the same time on Tuesday, I wouldn’t be typing this now, I’d be drinking all meals through a straw, and that would be the optimistic view of things.

So I got home last night and ran. That is going well, at least. I am eating like a pig, though I am mostly keeping it low fat content. I just feel hungry more often now than I have in the past, and I keep feeding myself.

I am looking forward to my trip to Thailand, obviously, but I am also looking forward to starting the weight training program when I get back. I still run, and it is still fun, but I am ready to change it up a little, see if I can do it. Plus, I do have the free Bowflex just sitting there collecting dust.

On the final note today, m nephew Tom, the one who is going to Thailand today, checked several times since last winter when his last day of school is. It has been February 7, 2007. He explained to them that his Uncle (me) was taking him overseas once he graduated. They told him he could leave February 8, 2007. So let it be written, so let it be known.

By some weird coincidence, United was having a fare sale to Thailand for travel to Bangkok anytime beginning December 7, 2006 through February 8, 2007, with travel ending by March 1, 2007. As coincidence goes, we wanted to be in Thailand for 3 weeks, so if we left February 8 and came back on March 1, that would be 3 weeks total, and I’d get a break on the cost of the flight. I ended up saving between $150-$200 per ticket going on these days. Very happy Mike!!

Yesterday, the school said that the students have to come in on February 8, 2007 for finals. Out of the fucking blue, completely arbitrarily, the school has decided to delay finals one day.

My nephew is certain that he will be able to actually do the finals on February 7 after talking to his teacher, but it pissed me off yesterday. Especially when I thought about it would be a shame that my nephew would have spent the past 20 months going to school to become a carpenter, and was going to miss out on his degree because I was going to drug him and force him to get on the plane at 7 am on February 8, making him miss his finals.
Cause I wasn’t spending another $350 per ticket to change (I checked, $200 change fee, and the difference between what a regular ticket would cost at the time I’d change, which would probably be about $150.)

I'm not cheap. I'm frugal. And this has nothing to do with me being frugal.

Well, maybe a little bit, but not much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home