Tuesday, February 06, 2007

We gonna rock down to Electric Avenue, and then we'll take it higher

Interesting few days on the run-up to leaving for Thailand. I’ve been able to run about every other day, which is different than I wanted to run, but I had a lot of things to do this past weekend, with Carl & his new boyfriend in town from DC, and Toby came in from Chicago. So I didn’t run on Friday, but Pittsburgh got hit with 3-4 inches of snow, so I shoveled my driveway, which took about 2 hours. I only know the time it took because I listened to two different 80’s new wave compilations on the iPod.

Yesterday morning I woke up, and suddenly, at about 6:25 am, the main breakers tripped, and all the electricity in my house went off, obviously. When I went down, the main breaker was so hot to the touch I couldn’t hold my finger on it for more than a few second.

By the evening, my nephew, the new electrician, came over and we shut down half the house to make sure that the electric heat pump could pull enough power to heat the house and not trip the breakers in the middle of the night and freeze me out.

It is nice to have an electrician in the family. My grandfather is an electrician, and he has been willing to work, but I’ve only owned the house for 20 months and he has basically been retired for the past 5 years. My nephew is young enough that he has the energy to come to my house after a long day of work and be able to help out. And he is hoping that the weather will break over the next few weeks while I am gone and he will upgrade my service to 200 amp to allow for the obvious extra electricity needed for the heat pump.

In order to try to get enough electricity for the heat pump, I had to turn off the freezer, and store much food in coolers I have on my back yard now. I don’t think I realized how much frozen fruits & vegetables I’ve bought and stuck in the back of the freezer. When I get back from Thailand, as long as the electricity works soon, I will have plenty of frozen fruits & veggies!

I ran for 30 minutes, 3.1 miles. I was a little down from I have been doing, but it won’t matter. My whole weight loss program is a train wreck currently. I am at 226 lbs yesterday morning, and it is a chubby 226 lbs. I have allowed myself to get so far off of my diet that it is effecting everything. My pants are getting slightly tighter, and that hasn’t happened in almost a year. Well, actually, I couldn’t even fit into these jeans, so the fact I fit into them now is still a good thing, but I want to continue my positive, healthy progress.

There have been a few people at my workplace who have lost a good deal of weight, only to gain it back after a time. I want this to be a lifestyle change, not some fashionable thing I do for a year and then allow myself to become unhealthy again.

All I can do now is come back from Thailand refreshed and ready to start eating right and then add the weight training program.

My car battery is going quickly, and it is turning over the engine rougher & rougher each morning. All I gotta do is have the car start 5 more times before I leave for Thailand. And if I am home when it doesn’t start up, I have use of Gary’s car while he is in England.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home