Sunday, February 04, 2007

When I'm in a traffic jam He don't care if I say "damn." I can let all my curses roll, Plastic Jesus doesn't hear

We are going to take a temple tour by tuk tuk, a sort of motorized rickshaw.


More accurately, a tuk tuk is a wide open, recklessly driven, 3-wheeled tin or sheet metal bodied motorized tricycle. They whip in an out of the congested traffic of Bangkok with ease, but I always fear they are just seconds away from tipping over.


When my friend says that on Sunday we will be having a temple tour by tuk tuk, I don’t actually know what he is saying. I don’t think we’d rent a tuk tuk to take us from temple to temple, as they are ubiquitous in Bangkok, so easy to get one. But I don’t think they are just sitting next to all the temples, waiting for westerners to hire them. Most westerners don’t go to temples. The tuk tuks are usually around all the shopping districts and really big attractions, like the Grand Palace.

There are two temples I am waiting to see, one for the first time.

I’ve been to the Wat Saket, or Temple of the Golden Mount.

It is one of the oldest temples in Bangkok, dating back 300-400 years. It was built on the highest hill in Bangkok, and off of the roof, it does have a great view of the western side of the city.


The next one is Wat Pho, or more famously, The Temple of the Reclining Buddha. This is home to the single largest Buddha image in the world, obviously the Reclining Buddha. This image is 46 meters long by 15 meters high, with mother of pearl eyes and on the soles of its feet, which are huge and depict different Chinese and Indian scenes. I have wanted to see it, so I will on next Sunday!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. why are u thailand again?

7:39 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I bring my nieces & nephews on a world trip, wherever they want to go, when they graduate high school. Only stipulation is that they have to choose somwhere outside of North America.

My nephew saw my pictures from my 2004 trip to Thailand, and he wanted to go. So we leave in 3 days.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home