Monday, September 11, 2006

Turn the clock to zero, boss; the river's wide, we'll swim across; started up a brand new day

When I started to run, one of my goals/reasons for the weight loss (I’m sure I’ve mentioned it somewhere on here) was to become a better softball player.

Yesterday at the softball banquet, my team got our team award for being champions of the league. And then I was given the team MVP award. I would like to tell you what my manager said about me before announcing me as the winner, but I wasn’t paying attention. I was bored by that point in time, and I was tired. It had been a long weekend anyway, and this had been a long banquet as it was the monumental 25th anniversary of our league so they had person after person speak continuously about the old days, the middle days and how we all need to fight to make the future days better.

So, when the managers all went up to present the team MVP awards, my head was barely above the table. We each had already been given our little trophy as the champions and I wasn’t expecting anything else. I know he mentioned that he was presenting the award to a “stalwart in the outfield,” but nothing else. And then I heard my name. It was pretty cool, to be honest, as I’ve never won an individual award in any sport I’ve ever played. Even in baseball, when I was in the 12-13 y/o team (it was my last year on that team, so I must have been 13; I do know it was right after 8th grade) on the field we played I broke the record for most home runs hit in one season. But my team didn’t win the season championship so the MVP award was given to Scotty Barbarella, who was a pitcher for the team that did win.

Oh yeah, and playing first base, I had like 10 errors in 22 games that year. I could hit anything thrown at me, and usually with good power, but my fielding was atrocious. Abysmal, even. They tried to hide me in right field, but that was even more of a disaster. But when I hit 2 or 3 home runs every game (the outfield ended with the woods, and I usually put it in the trees) they couldn’t take my bat out of the lineup.

I now figure that my exercise/weight loss program has worked better than I thought. I am the MVP of the championship team. Ergo…I am the best player in the league. Arrogance is a bad thing, but let me have this one little day of it before I get bitch slapped back into reality.

So how do I top that? I guess getting better news from my doctor next spring on my cholesterol level being lower would be better news, as health was listed as priority #1 of losing the weight. But this is a pretty good day for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home