Monday, November 13, 2006

so many men, so many men no-one needs

I went on a date on Saturday. Not sure how I feel about it all, as it is something strange to me, but I fear that John is more into me than I am into him.

Fuck, that makes me sound so like high school.

Start from the beginning. Not sure if I had mentioned this before here, but I put up a “profile” on match.com (I do find it interesting that they don’t call it a dating “ad” but a “profile.)” And this guy, we’ll call him John, responded about 2 weeks ago. He seemed nice and I liked his profile, so we e-mailed a few times and then progressed to phone conversation last Thursday. So we set up to meet on Saturday evening for dinner.

I guess first off I haven’t been on a date in a long time. Years, in fact. So it was all a little strange for me. Met at a mall, went to dinner, walked around the mall after dinner shopping (I did get a great price on some new Reebok running shoes, and am such a geek I ran for 15 minutes yesterday just to try them out. They are quite comfortable!) and then left. He seemed like a nice person and was attractive.

Then Sunday morning just before noon, I get a text message:

“hey there goodlookin. Miss u. call me when u can.”

I got no problem with being called good looking. And I planned on calling him later on in the afternoon before the Steelers game. But I was promptly freaked out by the whole “Miss u” statement. I will say that there were a few “red flag” indicators that maybe he was a little on the clingy side. I am not on the clingy side.

I called Gary in London, and he said flat out “You’re not attracted to him.” I disagreed with him, saying that John is an attractive guy. But I felt that there were undue pressures (there is more to it. He called me Friday and left a voice mail message that was kind of jokey/whiney about me not answering, saying something about that I need to answer when he called. He removed his profile on match.com – some things that seem to send the message of finality, like we are more than one date removed from not even knowing each other.) I like to take things slow and easy. I once jumped into something with a cute guy who turned out to be a heroin addict. Let’s just say I’ve been burned before by rushing into things. I was going on the idea that I wanted to take things slowly.

Then I was out shopping for a rain jacket for my trip to London. I went to Macy’s, and one of the salesman was very cute and a bit flirtatious with me, and I smiled a bit and it got my heart racing a little bit. And I realized that John doesn’t do this to me, and he probably never will. But I think, from his reaction, that I do it for him. And I feel sad about that.

Maybe I should just accept life as a single gay man with 3 cats in my house. Oh man, do I sound like a loser now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home