Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Everywhere I look there's something to learn, a sliver of truth from every bridge we burn

I don’t care who reads this blog. I think at times it is quite possibly the most boring online journal ever created. At other times, I think I have some interesting stuff to say. Mostly, it is about me and my exercise, weight loss and generally how I am doing all of that along with some observations about my life and things going on around me.

I know there are no pictures, no charts, no graphs, nothing colorful to really grab the eye. But it is at least grammatically correct most of the times with very, very few misspellings.

So while perusing through the blogs I regularly read, I came across something written 10/02/2006, and I am annoyed by it. A young closeted British guy, Stuart, was writing about how he needs to get back into shape, so he is “…taking a leaf out of Bobby’s book.” (I am not even going to mention the mixed metaphor there) and the “Bobby’s” is a hyperlink to the web site www.bobbysbody.blogspot.com.

So why am I annoyed? you may ask. Well, part of it is that Stuart and I have corresponded a handful of times in the past, and actually, I have helped with a project that he was doing to show on his web site. He has a sticker campaign, where he got little logo stickers of his website logo and would mail them to anyone who would stick them up, take pictures and send the pictures to him. I not only had two pictures sent to him (one from Pittsburgh, his first international photo, and one from St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome), I also told Carl about the site, he requested stickers and sent two pictures of them to Stuart (one from Amsterdam and one from the "Mason-Dixon Line" sign.) Stuart also has made a comment on my website in March 206, so he has read it and knows it exists. But when he decides to make a reference to a gay blog about losing weight, he decides to reference a different blog, one that wasn’t started until May 25, 2006. WTF?

So that is a slight, very minor annoyance for me. But I think that is OK, this other guy is British as well, so Stuart must be just pimping his fellow countryman’s weblog. That is all cool – I got no real problem with that other than ego. This other site also has pictures, including the ever necessary “before” shots with the writer in Speedos. I won’t do that part (the Speedos part…I do want to put some pictures on here to show some progress, but none of them will be of me in Speedos, and I will await the thanking from all of my readers for that) so maybe that makes his blog more interesting to Stuart. Visuals will always help.

However, after checking out the blog, I am quite annoyed at the world in general, but the Best Gay world in specific. First off, in his profile, he clearly puts the torso of some other super hot, well-built guy that is not him. He does have the real pictures of himself on there, but they aren’t the first thing you see when the page comes up. Worst off all, in his SIXTH post, a mere 2 fucking days after he started the blog, he notes that his site had been profiled by a website called “Best Gay Blogs.” After 2 days? And what does the “Best Gay Blogs” have to say about this 48 hour old blog, you may ask? From their website:

“You won’t find politically correct
stories about activist gay couples who raise children,
but you will find a blogger who admits that he’s
working hard on his body, is really into other guys
who work out and occasionally explores hot spots like
Ibiza.”

And

“The manner, in which it’s written, expressing body image
as almost a hobby, just might make you stop and think
about all the wonderful things you may, or may not, have
been missing by not going to the gym. As this blogger
states:

You're at the beach, or in a club or at gay pride or
in the gym and you see two boys. Who would you love to
be able to talk to first?”

“All the wonderful things you might be missing by not going to the gym.” What is that all shit about? So by going to the gym, you can have more wonderful things? Is that why I’m doing this whole thing?

But the true annoyance for me is that they listed this on “Best Gay Blogs” within 2 days of the first ever entry. There is a possiblity that today, 4 months in the writing, it may be one of the better gay blogs. But how can you possibly even know it if is going to one of the “Best Gay Blogs” within 2 fucking days? And, in that same entry, Bobby himself says that he gets about 100 hits/day on his site. After 2 days and 5 fucking prior entries?

I don’t think that mine is even close to good enough to be list in “Best Gay Blogs,” but when I looked for several of my favorite gay blogs, I didn’t see most of them listed on that site. It makes me think that “Best Gay Blogs” is just a poser site listing low intellect, shallow web sites with no thought for real content or substance.

WTF????!?!?!?!?!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

honesty in a blog i like that! sayin whats on your mind another thing i like.

cool post cool blog!
thanx 4 the comment on ours.
is it ok 2 link u?

5:26 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I agree that honesty is what a blog should be about. I certainly didn't want to sound like a crying child, just wanted to say.

Thank you for the compliment, and please do link me.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home