Tuesday, November 14, 2006

This paint by numbers life is fucking with my head once again

I have a lot to do before I get the airport at 8:30 Thursday morning, both at work and at home. So in that vein, I was washing clothes, washing dishes, recording some travel shows from my ReplayTV to DVD to have them converted to my video iPod so I can watch them with Lynne on the plane ride over to London.

John called me while I was doing all of this, and when I picked up the phone I was kind of rushing around. He asked about my day and I told him all the rushed things I was doing at work and at home getting ready for the trip, how I had to come home and run 3.1 miles, cooked some yummy stir fry, all the while doing these other things. After I was done, I ask the next natural question:

“How was your day?”

John: “It was good every time I thought of you.”

Long pause. I don’t know how to respond to this.

Pause goes on longer than I intended as I don’t know what else to say.

After a good 20-25 seconds of silence (do it right now. Go up to someone and say something, let them respond and then just stand there for 25 seconds – it is a very long, awkward time to say nothing) John says: “I caught you off guard, didn’t I?”

Then, being the smooth, suave and sophisticated operator, I said “How about that Steeler’s game?”

It worked. He laughed and then we were off the subject. We talked for a while, and I did later tell him that I am very uncomfortable with the talk of missing me and thinking of me, especially with us knowing each other only a few days. I told him that it was too soon to be anything, and I was looking for Mr. Right, and I then actually told him I wasn’t sure if he was it. He seemed slightly bummed, but said that he would hold out hope.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

least he has hope and not givin up i know u all just met but sometimes a person just feels something and maybe he hopes u feel it also. have fun on our trip!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home