Tuesday, March 13, 2007

It feels so good to be back where I belong, the streets is where I belong

One could almost forget how good it feels to run when one hasn’t done it in a month.

Last night I ran for 25 minutes, going 2.5 miles. I felt great afterwards, both physically and emotionally. I wanted to run the 3 miles in 30 minutes, but I got a cramp and realized that 2.5 miles would be fine. No need to push myself now to get hurt. I need to listen to the signs from my own body.

I ate well yesterday too, just under 1,600 calories. I had separate servings of banana, raisins, tropical fruit mix & apples. I made a large salad with green peppers, zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes, celery, onion & some shaved turkey. Breakfast was oatmeal (with the raisins.) All in all, a good day for my first day back on the diet/running regimen.

Work showed me the money yesterday as well, so that is going well. In 10 years working for the same company, I finally got what I’d refer to as a decent raise. I don’t normally talk about my real work here, only my weekend job at the movie theater. But let me say that I like my regular job.

This wasn’t always the case. I worked at an accounting firm shortly after college (I tried working in the movie business, but due to some union shit, after I worked on 2 movies as the low man on the totem pole, the movies in Pittsburgh dried up, and I was unwilling to move away from my hometown) and then an insurance company.

Back in 1996, I figured I could continue working at the same company and be a bigger sized fish in a medium sized pond (I could move anywhere in the company I was qualified for, and the company was headquartered in Pittsburgh), or move on to another company and be a small fish in a huge pond (where I would only do one thing, as it is a satellite office with headquarters in Philadelphia.) Problem is that the huge pond paid so much better, even though I went from being one of about 5,000 to being one of about 28,000.

Well, after a few years, I was bored and hateful of how the company was run, and became disgruntled. I admit I was a bad attitude employee, and have apologized to several co-workers for my behavior, or more accurately my miserable attitude, during this time frame. The only saving grace is that I did good work, just was a miserable fuck to everyone else (especially management.)

Four years ago I decided to change jobs within my company. Now the question is, if I hated the company and was a miserable fuck, why stay on? Again, decent pay and good vacation. And I get to work just a hair away from downtown Pittsburgh and I get free parking. And I like my co-workers, or most of them.

When I changed four years ago, I got exceptionally lucky. I fell in with a great product that regularly challenges me and is well managed. The work is very dynamic and my co-workers are great.

Now I get over 6 weeks vacation. And the company showed me the money yesterday, so all is good with me in the world. As long as I keep running and eating correctly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back. now its my turn to leave.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree - you were a miserable fuck! just kidding. but having been on the same side of the business, i just thought i should chime in and add credence to why you were so miserable. Life is definitely better now that i have followed in your footsteps. glad to have you back too by the way.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home