Tuesday, March 14, 2006

High, higher than the sun, you shoot me from a gun

My physician has decided to scare the hell out of me. That seems to be his new tactic.

So it seems that my cholesterol is high. It is currently at 228. Now I know nothing about cholesterol, but from what he told me, I am in the middle risk level. And it has been going up. From what the doc told me, every time I’ve been tested over the last 5 years, it has been going up, and he doesn’t like this trend. So he has given me a 9 month time frame to lower the cholesterol level or get on a pill to control it.

He did point out that my triglycerides levels are excellent and show him that I have been exercising. I don’t know how that works, but he was happy about that level.

So what scared me? Well, when he said that he wanted to put me on a pill, I made some smart ass remark about how I wasn’t going to get on another daily pill (I already take a pill every day for reflux). So he said to me that if that was truly going to be my attitude, I will have to look for another physician as he treats people to be healthy not people who continually worsen their health.

First off, I had never heard him talk like that, and he seemed actually annoyed with my attitude. Secondly, this is a physician who hates prescribing pills for every little thing, so when he talks about putting me on a pill for cholesterol (and pointing out that once on this pill, it is likely I would need to stay on it for lifetime even if/after the levels reduce) I should have realized that he was serious.

So, after thinking all of this, I will be starting the new 1600/day calorie diet as of next Sunday. I will try to keep this blog updated on what I eat, but it might a bit tougher. The diet he gave me is specific and varied, so I don’t know if anyone wants me to write each ½ banana or ¾ cup of grapenuts that I eat. I might have to be content with just writing that I ate what was on the diet that day instead of the specs. We shall see what happens.

Last night, went after phone conversation with doc and ran for 30 minutes, feeling I needed to run, run, run for my cholesterol. Then I ate some things that aren’t on the new diet, including ½ pound of cheese. But that is ok. It will all be good starting next week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

It is going to take monumental will power to avoid the power of cheese but I must...at least for a few months. (that is what I tell myself.)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home