Thursday, March 16, 2006

Stop jivin, Now whip out your big ten-inch Record of the band that plays the blues

I am excited to get started on this new eating regiment. I hate using the word “diet” as people have such a bad connotation to this word, when in reality the word diet only means the food and drink intake for a person. Do I am looking forward to starting this new diet. There, I said it and I feel better about saying it. It isn’t that I love what is going to be on this particular diet; it is that I want to get into it and see if it works. I have my doubts.

This week, I’m trying to eat a good bit of the low carb type foods I have lying around for two reasons. 1. to make room for all the new low calorie foods I have to buy this weekend, and 2. I don’t want to be tempted with it next week. Especially the cheese. I think I have about 4 more pounds of cheese in my fridge (or frig, depending on how you look at the language.)

After running for 30 minutes last night, I fried up a pound of ground meat, a pound of hot Italian sausage, mixed it in with a Ragu sauce and put it over my Dreamland low carb spaghetti. I did enjoy it so much, though I think I ate too much of it. But I brought the rest of it to work today for lunch. Healthy, I’m sure.

The one obstacle that I can see in this over the next few weeks are Fridays. For the past 10 years, my mother and I go to different church Fish Fries on Fridays during Lent. (I may not believe in JC and all that, but I was raised catholic, so I feel the need to participate, and since I am meeting Benedictus this summer, I might as well get to know his customs now.) I think I am going to have to work at eating only baked fish at these fish fries, but then I am tempted with perogies, french fries (did “Freedom Fries” finally go away since fuckwad in the White House got what he wanted in Iraq – a complete quagmire?), coleslaw, new England clam chowder, etc. Either way, it is a good time with my mother, so I enjoy that.

A reader asked me how my “friend” was doing since last I wrote he was borderline homeless (hello! there always is the comment section people!). From what I have heard from him, he actually is not specifically homeless at the moment, maybe only sort of homeless. He seems to be able to spend some time at his parents during the week, and then weekends at some other place that doesn’t seem to have a lot of heat.

For those who think this is so mean of me to let someone have such problems while I have my 3 bedroom house alone, hear this: Everyone who knows both me and my “friend” has told me that it would be a horrible idea to let him move in. Even my mother, one of the nicest, most compassionate people I know, has told me that she thinks it would be a bad idea, and actually counterproductive to letting him learn to be more independent.

This is kind of difficult for me, but I am sticking to my guns. He calls about this or that (I am storing a computer for him and other odds & ends), and I have yet to break down and say “Move in to one of my spare rooms.” I am somewhat surprised that I haven’t moved him in, and not for any sex needs, but because I am a liberal deep down and think that he needs a hand to get back on his feet. Just like he did in 1998, then again in 2001, then again in 2004, the other times he has been borderline homeless or actually homeless and I helped him out (moved into my place in 1998, and I loaned him money in 2001 & 2003.) To be honest about him, he did end up paying me back each time he borrowed money eventually, so he isn’t completely a total loser…sort of.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

10 inches and "Your Friend." Any connection between the two.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

You know something I don't know? Get pictures to back up these comments next time!!!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice one - my plan was to give up eating choclolate and cake for lent - but that all went out the window the other day... and you know what - i dont even care!

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home