Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Me me me pongo mis jeans (pongo mis jeans) viejos, deslavados hoy serán mis aliados para hacer de este chico un maniquí...

I am in a pair of jeans I haven’t been able to comfortably wear in about a year, so I am happy today. It was almost a fluke that I tried them on this morning. I wore my regular jeans yesterday, the fat ones, and I noticed myself in the mirror in the bathroom and it looked like I had dropped a load into the back. I hate really saggy clothes, and these looked ridiculous, so this morning, I was about to put on another pair of the bigger jeans and they were hanging next to the smaller size ones, so I tried them on, and voila, they fit.

I have a whole rack of clothes that fit me when I was a bit thinner, so now I am going to look into seeing if more of them fit me now. Obviously, I’m not talking about clothes much thinner, but I have realized that I’ve lost 18 pounds this year so far, so that is enough to get me into clothes I was wearing last spring, right before my torn calf muscle. Now I will see if I can get into better shape and have to buy new clothes that are a smaller size.

I am actually happy to be in the shape I am in currently. I ran last night, and it felt good. I even started pushing the distance/mph a bit higher, and I wasn’t wiped out at the end of it, and recovered in good time. I think by the end of April I should be up to 3 miles/day.

The next thing I need to work on is my sleep. It has gotten better of the past 2 weeks, but it isn’t what it should be. In my job, I used to work until 8 pm, which meant I didn’t have to wake up until after 7 am, got to run at that time, take my time showering, getting ready, make breakfast, and then get to work at 9:30 am. I worked (and still do) the same 4 days, Monday through Thursday, but I was finally getting enough sleep, and everything except for my weight was much better. My work was very good, I didn’t have those moments in meetings where you just stare straight ahead and don’t pay attention to whatever is being said in the meeting.

Nowadays, I have to wake up at 5:30 am, and it seems no matter how hard I try, I still go to sleep around 11 pm, just like I did when I was waking up at 7 am, so I am losing about 1:30 of sleep each night during the work week. So my next project, if I lose the weight I want to lose, is to focus on sleep deprivation. There has to be a way to change my body clock to be able to make myself fall asleep at least by 10 pm each night. Without taking pills, even natural ones.

After having written that, I wonder where I can go from here if I am successful in what I want to do. What if I lose weight, lower my cholesterol, don’t need my reflux medication daily (being overweight makes my reflux act up more often), look good, and then start sleeping better? What would be next? I am guessing I’ll have to do start looking at the external parts of my life, such as my beautiful house that needs some work.

But that will all be a year or so in the future before I have to worry about that. If I ever do have to worry about it at all.

Toby update – he called me last night from his brother’s place, so now at least he has visited his brother. I talked to his brother on the phone for a minute, and he has eradicated the Pittsburgh accent from his speech, and he sounds just like a surfer dude, which he is. He is the normal one in his family (having explained Toby to you, let’s just say that after having met all of his family, the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree) and it is interesting to talk to someone who thinks more normal and try to get their take on the family. But I didn’t talk to him for long enough to ask why his parents are treating Toby the way they do. Or why Toby treats others the way he does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home