Monday, April 03, 2006

Cherry blossom clinic, lock me in and throw the key away

6 pounds. Finally. On Friday, I weighed myself prior to starting my trip to DC, and I was down 6 pounds. Now, I am happy for this loss, and I realize that I am healthier today than I was last June 11, but this only put me down to the June 11 weight. That is the day I tore my left calf muscle and stopped all minimal exercise I was doing (which included softball, what I was doing when I tore calf muscle) for about 5 months. How anyone comes back from that type of injury quicker in baseball, I don’t know.

That is the reason I got the treadmill, as it was the second such injury in an 8 month period. I “strained” my right calf muscle the previous October. And after tearing the right one, I realized that if I was going to do silly things like play softball, I might as well get my legs into some type of shape. The weight loss program came into play when I realized that after I didn’t do much of anything from June thru October last year that I had gained 18 pounds, and I didn’t like the thought of where that could go if I let it. And then, after 2 months of running (November & December) I still hadn’t lost any significant weight, I knew I had to concentrate on it more.

I was in DC this weekend for the Cherry Blossom Festival. I brought my mother for her birthday. We had planned this for almost a year, since I accidentally stumbled onto it last year visiting Carl and my Mom kept saying she wanted to go. Good thing about living in Pittsburgh, it is only a few hours away from so many places, like DC, NY, Columbus, and a few more hours driving from places like Chicago & Toronto. I won’t add Philadelphia into that mix as I hate Philly. There isn’t one redeeming thing about Philadelphia, except for my few friends who live there. I’d rather not go into it.

I walked for many hours around DC, and then, even though I was good on the food intake Friday and most of Saturday, my Mom & I went pack to Alexandria for Carl to finish work, and waited in Whole Foods…which has a HUGE buffet of great foods available, so I partook in several of them, mostly of the Indian variety. Curry Chicken over Nan bread is just about the best thing you can eat after a busy Saturday. I ate two plates full of good food. And then had half a slice of pizza (Mom couldn’t eat all of her food.) And then I was back on track on Sunday, so I feel good going into week 3 of my completely new fashioned idea of lower calories + exercise = lower weight. I don’t think anyone else is on to this plan of mine.

I hope to have some time later to give a quick entry on my thoughts on the Pirates this year, if only so that I can be ridiculed by people. It is my lot in life, my burden, as a Pirates fan. Cause the Pirates couldn’t possibly ever do anything good; even .500 ball is out of their reach. And a 6th seed in NFL playoffs will never win the Super Bowl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home