Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The walls of my mind are just like I'm climbing on a jungle gym. I am more than content with the state of mind I am in 'cause I am crazy just like you

Running and eating. Running and eating. Work. Running and eating. Running and eating. Work.

This seems to be my life recently. I am not crying about it, but I was noting last night that I came home from work, ran for 30 minutes, spent a few minutes cleaning up, and started making dinner (spaghetti in a red sauce with meatless ground meat & mushrooms). I did watch an episode of “Six Feet Under” while eating (catching up on the last few seasons of that series on HBO On Demand), but once it was done, I started making breakfast (waffles with a yogurt, sour cream and blueberry topping) and lunch (chicken with celery & onion stuffed tomatoes) for today while washing dishes. That took me to about 9:30, when I got on the computer for half an hour and then slid in to bed to read for 30 minutes and then fall into sleep.

I do this Mondays through Thursdays. I don’t work on Fridays. I have my second job during the weekends, but that doesn’t interfere too much with my running/eating schedule (usually only work 5-6 hours a night there.) And that is going to end soon as my Pirates tickets start this weekend.

I think I can do this running/food schedule for a few reasons. One is that I am single, and I do mean completely single – no partner, no children (I am not one of those gay men who consider his cats his children. That is just creepy to me.) There are a couple of people at my work who are trying to lose weight, but they all have husbands, children, houses and pets to consider. There is just me, and me alone in my little world. That sounds sad, but it isn’t meant to be. I have friends and family that I see all the time, but on Monday night when I get home, I only have to take care of myself (my cats only need some food and water, and a scratch behind the ear when I’m sitting watching TV.)

Another reason is actually my work schedule. If I didn’t work 10 hour days, I would try to do more stuff during the week (Happy Hours, movies, dinners with friends, shopping, etc.) thus distracting me from running and preparing food. And having no life for several days each week.

Yet another reason is fear. My doctor has been feeding me the fear of high cholesterol, family history of diabetes and the known side effects of obesity lines for the past 5 years (after all, he fed me the anti-smoking lines for 4 years before I finally quit smoking, so he knows something must work) and they have started to sink in. And after my recent lab work showing even higher cholesterol in March, I started getting even more worried.

And one final reason is desire. I have the desire to lose weight, and after about 8 years of trying different things to lose weight besides this plan, this one seems to be healthy and working. Sadly, it is the weight loss program that we all know about since we were young – lesser calories & exercise. But I am willing to eat a lot less food, to make my own foods from raw materials, to run 30 minutes per day, to write down everything I eat, just to lose weight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is about time.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home