Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be. It's easy. All you need is love.

I ran for 3.1 miles in 30 minutes yesterday. I am a bit shocked I did as well as I did. My lungs hurt a little bit more than usual, but my recovery time was amazingly swift. I finished running, and about 10 minutes later I was separating laundry and doing my regular chores.

While I was running, it felt good. It felt really good. I know that I spent 36 ½ years not running, but I have really become addicted to it over the past year. Last night as I did my chores, and then my nephew came over to help plan more of the Thailand trip, I felt better than I had in a few weeks. I don’t think it is a coincidence that I felt bad Sunday afternoon, or that I’ve become lethargic at times in the evenings recently.

This morning, feeling fine. Feeling very good as a matter of fact. No real major pains, aches or breathing problems. So now I will just keep doing this through 02/07/2007.

I will want to start following my calorie intake more than I thought yesterday. I just ate & ate yesterday. Not all terrible things, but I stuffed myself. I think I need to learn to limit myself some, and the only way I seem to be able to do that is by writing it all down.

Finally, I wanted to plug a new album. I know that they don’t need my endorsement, but the new The Beatles “Love” mash up CD is fantastic. This was produced by Sir George Martin, the only person who can ever really be considered the “Fifth Beatle” as he produced all of The Beatles albums except “Let It Be,” though he did do all the back tracking & oversaw all the original recording on it. But he and his son have taken and re-produced the songs, with bits from other Beatles songs, and it flows so wonderfully. Just as an example, on the Love version of “Get Back,” it starts with the beginning strum from “A Hard Day’s Night,” and they you get the drum solo & part of the guitar solo from “Carry That Weight” off of “Abbey Road,” which makes a magical opening for the song, and then near the end is the crescendo from “A Day in the Life,” which segues into “Glass Onion.” It is amazing to hear how all these little pieces work together.

Throughout, the album are little nuggets that Beatle fans will hear in the background of one song that weren’t really a part of the original track, even if the song is only changed a little bit. The end of “I Am the Walrus” includes a bit more background than the original, and then a crowd is heard with an introduction of The Beatles into short version of “I Wanna Hold Your Hand,” which isn’t really changed, just remixed to sound fresh and crisp. Hearing it like this makes you realize why so many kids went crazy for the group in 1964. They were happy, smiley, and the song grabs you for a screaming run for less than 1 ½ minutes, but it is infectious.

On the “Drive My Car” portion, there is extra chanting in the backing vocals, then it merges into “What You’re Doing,” “The Word,” and then back to the famous “Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yeah” from “Drive My Car as the song fades out.

“Strawberry Fields Forever” starts with a demo John Lennon did that is included on the “Anthology” CD, and then the famous released version from 1966 is faded in, to make a fuller, richer feel. Elements of “Baby, You’re a Rich Man,” “Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band,” “Piggies,” “Penny Lane” and “Hello Goodbye” are incorporated into the ending. It is just done so well that you have to smile while listening to it.

But my favorite track is the version of “A Day in the Life,” which to me has always represented the best of The Beatles. No other group has ever been able to end and album with a better song than this one that ended the “Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band “album. There is no real update to the song, no added bits from another Beatles song, just the original remixed and remastered to sounds new, to sound fantastic.

Once you listen to it, you know why, 36 years after they broke up, The Beatles music is still important, and is still the benchmark for all music that came after it. This isn’t to take away from any music that came after it. As a matter of fact, it helps to celebrate almost all music that came after The Beatles broke up. When you listen to “Love” you recognize where today’s artists, and most all artists since 04/10/1970 when the band officially broke up, got a lot of their influence. This album is a love fest with all of The Beatles music, and it is a mash note from probably the biggest Beatles fan, Sir George Martin, to all of The Beatles fans. A pure joy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i effing love the beatles. gotta say that "because" & "here, there & everywhere" are my absolute favorites.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Mike is gay for the Beatles.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home