Thursday, April 26, 2007

In the shotgun chance that scattered us, I've seen the error of my ways

I’ve been doing better on the diet this week. Monday & Tuesday I was just about at 1,600 calories, and yesterday I went up to 2,000, but, get this, the jump yesterday was due to green beans almondine and rice pilaf! (My office had some luncheon, and these were some of the leftovers. I was able to resist the pastries that were left over from the morning, but green beans almandine? NEVER!)

I figure, if you’re going to go over your calorie count, rice & veggies isn’t too bad a way to do it. And then a simple veggie wrap for dinner to finish a day and I was ready for bed.

I wish I could say the same thing about my exercise, but again it isn’t working out. Yesterday, the PT told me that maybe I should wait another month to start doing any type of running, and again stressed very light walking. Wherever the injury in my neck is, it seems to easily be aggravated. Easy like turning my head easy. Like that is what I did Monday, which caused something to be aggravated in my neck, which caused the headache, which made me want to put my head in a vice.

I am better now, obviously, but I do get tired of the pain. I think because it isn’t like any other injury I’ve ever had. I pulled a calf muscle, you stay off the offended leg and it slowly heals. I tore up the crown of me head in the accident. You staple it, and keep things from banging off it (which I failed to do yesterday getting out of my car) and it will heal. But this fucking whiplash. Look left and, whoops, that hurt. How do you stay off your neck?

As a result, my softball season is, at the least, delayed, and at the most, cancelled. I might not be able to play with my team, Crush, this season! This depresses me to no end. For the past 11 years, I’ve look forward every spring to softball; not just playing, but the camaraderie as well. The joy of playing the game you love in a competitive way with people you can be completely open with is amazing. And now, even the PT has advised me that she thinks me going to the game and turning my head the wrong way could cause a flare-up.
So here I sit, and I will continue to just sit. And when the sitting is done, I will sit some more. But at least I’m not allowing myself to turn the now-dormant treadmill into another place to keep my laundry. It is pristine and dust free, sitting all alone. Just like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home