Monday, April 02, 2007

Today is the greatest day I've ever known. Can't wait for tomorrow; I might not have that long

Today is the best day of the year! It is the first day of Pirates baseball! No more grapefruits, no more purposeful 3 inning pitchers, no more bringing in 5 replacements for every position just to get some workout. Today, we start the real games, and every inning counts!

I don’t know why I love baseball so much. I watch baseball in person and on television, and I love it both ways. I get so tired of people saying that they like watching it in person but it is boring on television. That is complete bullshit to me. Baseball is the only sport I know where the entire game can change on each pitch. Baseball is the only major sport with no clock. You play until one team gets the final out.

(Here is a picture of me at last years MLB All-Star game. That is actually the shirt I am wearing today as well, although it is a little tighter on me now that I want it to be. But today is all about baseball, not about my fat belly, my eating habits, my whiplash or how hot it is in my office today. Nothing will get between me and my Pirates at 7:05 pm est...except another freakish car accident, but I can't be thinking that way at all. Today, baseball; tomorrow, back to real life while following baseball every day.)

I could go on an on, page after page, about what I love about baseball and why it is superior to all other major sports, but it would just be my own opinion, and it could bore some people. And don’t get me wrong: I understand the love of football, hockey and basketball. (I don’t understand the love of soccer the rest of the world has, but that is a discussion for another time.) But for me, it’s all about baseball.

And I know that being a Pirates fan is another reason people feel I should give up my love of baseball, but I can’t do it. Even if the Pirates have another 14 losing seasons, I will be watching them in 2021 (although, to be fair, I will probably not be a season ticket holder for another 14 losing seasons. I’ve been a season ticket holder for the past 6 losing season, but I can only pay directly for so much losing.)

So, starting today I am all about the baseball, and I will be all about the Pirates, because in baseball, much like life, anything can happen on any given pitch.
(This is my 200th post. And I can't think to do anything special about #200. So you get my picture, and a minimized rant on my love of baseball. Enjoy!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home