Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I don't feel bad about, eating something that's dead, so why should I be sad, for cows getting hit in the head?

I feel good about getting back on track this week. Granted, we are on day 2 of eating 1600 calories or less (1563.2 yesterday) and today will be day 3 of running, but it feels good to think that I can start up again.

I got up to almost 2.5 miles yesterday on the treadmill after 30 minutes. I had to take another 3 minute break in the middle of running, just light jogging for that time, but I was able to get back to regular running, and that did feel good.

I ate good yesterday as well. I started out with some oatmeal (with a teaspoon of sugar free raspberry jelly mixed in) and then some pineapple chunks over low fat cottage cheese. Lunch was a frozen Lean Cuisine thing, which I bring only for convenience. For dinner I had a Boca meatless spicy chicken patty with some low fat cheese, some low calorie bread, asparagus, baby carrots and a pear. It was quite good.

It seems for a lot of the things I eat these days, I have almost become an accidental vegetarian. I love the taste of meats & chickens, but when you start adding up calories, it is tough to get completely full when you eat an actual angus burger, as you have to cut back on so many other things to get under the calorie count, and then you aren’t as full. So I started experimenting with some of those vegetarian substitutes. And, for the most part, they taste pretty good and allow for a few more extras to fill me up.

I have this one recipe where I chop up onions and green peppers and stir fry them with some kidney beans, then mix in some salsa and put it over brown rice. Now the original recipe called for steak strips, and when I used these, I wasn’t able to have too much else due to the calorie count. However, Morningstar Farms has meatless steak strips, and I add them to the recipe, cut down about 150-200 calories, and they taste great. And then I can have something else to eat to fill up my belly. And this makes Mike happier!

So the other day, I had to go food shopping as I was low on food. Well, the local grocery store had a lot of the meatless Boca & Morningstar Farms products on sale, so I bought a bunch of it. I figure, it’s all been good so far, and I can use some good food to fill up on now that I have expanded my stomach with all the junk I’ve eaten over the last few weeks. And the less calories per food, the more food I can have, the more full my belly is, and the less tempted I will be by junk food. Or the ½ dozen muffins I have remaining in my house from what I bought for the Amsterdam trip.

But if I had my druthers, I’d be eating meats. And a lot of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home