Monday, October 09, 2006

I realize I have left it too late, and so it's true, pride comes before a fall

Oh the pain. Oh the agony. Oh the humiliation.

We lost. In 2 fucking games. And I was on the team with what is the worst sportsman in the world, Catman. I know, hyperbole is great in theory, but if you even played any sport with Catman, you would know that he is poison on team chemistry and morale. Which is a shame as he actually is an excellent player, but sadly just not a good team player.

We had the whole 1 pitch rule, so if you take a pitch and it is a ball, you walk. Well, we had a guy on the mound for our second game, and in the first inning, he walked two people…and Catman started yelling at our manager to pull him. What you want in a 1 pitch tournament is for your pitcher to be able to shake off a bad few pitches easily, and when you have a man in the outfield screaming “Get Jerry ready, bring him in,” it has got to be frustrating.

Then, in the last inning of our second game, I’m in right center and Jeff is in left center and a ball is hit dead center field. He and I converge, and I feel I’ve got a bead on the ball, then I hear Jeff say “I got it,” so I bring my glove down at the last minute, and I guess it distracted Jeff just enough and it doinked off his glove. It happens, and I didn’t blame Jeff as I was close to him for distraction (and I outweigh Jeff by 75 pounds, so if we’d collided, he would have taken to worst of it). After it happened, Catman has to yell at me, something like “Come on Mike, he called you off.” And I just had had enough and start yelling back at him.

I hate when I do that, when I start yelling back at the poor sportsman, but it becomes frustrating when one person thinks they know everything, and has to tell the rest of the team about it regularly. So I told him to play all of the positions if he thinks he is capable of it, and if not to shut up. I might have thrown in an f-bomb or two. Jeff laughed at me, so hopefully people took it better than I think it may have sounded. I usually feel like a raving lunatic when I scream like that, but it is very cathartic at the moment you do it.

A good thing about the tournament was that it turned into a beautiful day, sunny and mid 70’s. Great for playing softball, but I would have loved to have 2 days of it. And it made for a nicer ride home. And sadly, an earlier ride home than I’d hoped for when we went to the tournament, but it’s all good.

As for my calorie intake…let’s just say that I am back on track as of this morning. I weighed in at 225 lbs, but that can be shed down to probably 217 but Thursday. The bigger issue is that I need to get a plan going and stick to it. I have to be more disciplined for the next 6 weeks, as I go to London in mid-November, and I want to be comfortable on the plane ride and more comfortable looking in the mirror (damn that body dysmorphic disorder!!). And then I have to start getting ready for my annual physician visit in February or March.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home