Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I'm crazy flowing over with ideas

I couldn’t run yesterday. And I don’t mean some psychological trauma was holding me back. I ran for 4 minutes and had an extremely painful cramp in my side, so I stopped, stretched, jumped back on and 3 minutes later, more cramps. I got to 1.5 miles and I had to stop completely. I realized that running was just going to make my abdomen hurt more and more.

Coupled with the slight tweak of the ankle and the general muscle ache of my thighs from softball this past weekend, I decided that 1.5 miles was enough. I am hoping my body will allow me to run the full 3 miles today. I feel a lot better when I run the full 3 miles a day, which is to say that I was in a shit-ass mood last night after I couldn’t finish the 3 miles.

I am sure I have talked about this in a previous post, but I know that, though I weigh what I did the night before I went to Amsterdam, my stomach is bigger than it was that night.

This morning I was at 218 lbs. The morning I left for Amsterdam I was 218 lbs. Why is my stomach bigger now (there is a slight bulge at the sternum that wasn’t there when I left for Amsterdam)? I am eating roughly the same amount of calories, and I am actually running more now.

If I had to guess, I will say that a slightly higher fat content and “faster” food in my diet has as much to do with it as anything else. Even though I eat around 1600 calories per day, it isn’t all the fresh vegetables and fruits that it was in March, April & May. I looked back and was having roughly 25-30 grams of fat per day in that time frame, and now I am regularly having 35-40 grams of fat. It is a lot of frozen lunches and “lean pockets” than it is fresh asparagus and broccoli and cauliflower. Plus, there have been a lot of “Lost Weekend” types since Amsterdam where I’ve eaten whatever I want, and “whatever I want” has usually included a lot of fast food and deep fried foods.

I am going to have to work a lot harder to get all of this done the way I want to by next spring. I want to be in even better shape by next softball season, with some muscle building thrown in (of the Bowflex variety, not true “weight lifting”) to be a better hitter and to burn more fat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home