Thursday, December 21, 2006

For what was said the frivolous response which is now clear - Dead words on deaf ears

I am here today to talk about a serious problem. This could possibly affect everyone of you, sometimes with devastating and expensive results.

Of course, I’m talking about Small External Auditory Ear Canal Opening Syndrome, or SEAECOS. You see, it affects those of us who use the white earphones that came with the iPod. When I was running with the iPod two weeks ago, after about 3 minutes of running, the headphones starting falling out of my right ear canal. After that time, I’ve noticed that the right ear just won’t hold the iPod earphone comfortably anymore.

At work one day, someone noticed that the earphone was falling out, and my shame was suddenly public knowledge. The other kids at work would call me names if they could come up with some derogatory term to describe my small ear canals.

These are the stupid, ubiquitous white earphones that come with the iPod, and according to the Apple website, the earphones “gently fit [the] contour of the inside of the ear for a comfortable, secure fit so that the earphones don't fall out while you're exercising.” LIES!!!

Seems like rubbish to me. Problem is that I’ve gotten used to wearing just the earphones, they are light and easy to pop out when the phone rings at work. They are so much easier to wear instead of big headphones, or cheap headphones, that go around the top of your head.

Sadly, with my SEAECOS, the earphones have become too annoying. Even walking to the printer at work, it sometimes falls out. It makes me sad and annoyed. A bit frustrated as well. And embarrassed.

When I went online to find replacement earphones, they came in many different sizes and shapes, as long as I was willing to pay over $90! The cheapest ones, with attachments for small, medium or large ear canals, started at $99.95 before shipping and handling. All of the cheap ones I’ve bought or had prior to purchasing the iPod don’t fit: they all have that “one-size-fits-all” idea, and clearly, those of us who suffer from SEAECOS don’t believe in “one-size-fits-all”!

Please, do what you can in your community to raise awareness and acceptance of SEAECOS, therefore allowing those of us to be able to buy earphones that actually fit in our ear canals comfortably at a reasonable price.

Thank you for your support. It is only with your help that we can eradicate the idea that all external auditory ear canal openings are the same, and we can all actually enjoy reasonably priced earphones without fear of embarrassment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for speaking out for the rest of us with abnormally small ear canals. My shame has been lifted - if but a little.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home