Wednesday, December 20, 2006

If I just breathe let it fill the space in between I'll know everything is alright

Alright, so two days of running 3.1 miles in 30 minutes, and I’ve gained 4 pounds. This morning on the scale I was 226 lbs. I know that yesterday at work we had our holiday lunch, and I did pig out, but I was pigging out last week just as much at times, and I didn’t get up to 226 lbs. No panic, no worries. I knew that the eating would be bad through the holiday season, so that is fine.

Running isn’t a problem with my legs after a 2 week layoff. It is my lungs that give me problems. I get about 18 minutes into the run and my lungs are straining and start feeling shredded. I have no other way to explain it but “shredded.” I don’t stop, I keep running, and tt has taken a few extra minutes on recovery. My lungs feel like a knife has been scraped up and down them. I don’t remember having that problem before, even when I started running last year.

I fear that I may have done some kind of temporary injury to the lungs from the running outdoors in below freezing temperatures. After that first time I ran outside 2 ½ weeks ago, I felt pain. Real, deep down pain in my lungs. Now I didn’t run continuously any of the times I ran outdoors, it was usually starting at 4-5 minutes running, some brisk walking, 3-4 minutes running, some brisk walking, 2-3 minutes running, some brisk walking, 5 minutes running back downhill, then walking 3 minutes back home. So I never really got to minute 18 of breathing heavy.

I think that this will go away, but my real worry is because I’ve had some lung problems in the past. I smoked for about 12 years. As in a regular tobacco user. When I was in college, it was about ½ pack per day because I couldn’t afford any more than that. But after college, I was basically a pack per day smoker.

The last semester my senior year in college, I was having some respiratory problems. I ended up passed out in the cafeteria and was brought to the ER. I had bronchial pneumonia. After that time, I continued to have problems with bronchitis for a couple of years. For most of June 1995, I was hacking and coughing up some awful stuff, and was sick and barely able to breath. And yet, for most of June, this didn’t stop me from smoking, only slowed me down.

I was brought to the hospital on June 29, 1995. I only know the day because it was by boyfriend’s 30th birthday the next day (June 30). I spent the night of June 29th in the hospital, and at some point in the night, I remember clearly trying to come up with a way to take out the 2 IV’s in my arms, sneak down the steps (I thought I was lucky because the steps were near to my room) and have a smoke, get back to the room and reinsert the IV’s without anyone noticing.

After a few minutes of thinking this, realizing that my smoking habit was one of the reasons I was in this condition, I recognized that I had a smoking problem. I didn’t think before that night that I really had a smoking problem. I was never one of those people who would smoke any cigarette when I was out. I smoked my brand and nothing else. Never was able to smoke the cheap ones or menthol. Therefore, when I was a poor college student and didn’t have money for smokes, I wouldn’t smoke, and that made me think I wasn’t addicted.

The next day, Joe’s 30th birthday, I got out of the hospital, had one last cigarette, and we quit together. Due in part to my bronchitis at the time, I never even missed it. It was a relief to not smoke, to be honest. About 2 years later, I tried to smoke while a little drunk in a gay bar with my friends, and I almost choked to death (I did it in front of a cute guy who was smoking, thinking I’d look cool. I didn’t look cool.)

But a year after I quit, I was still having some respiratory problems. So I went to my physician, and we went through a lot of breathing tests and exercises, and it turned out I had some allergies that the symptoms were masked by my smoking (coughing, watery eyes, phlegm) and some weakness in my lungs. That is when I went on steroids, and that was fun. That is when I started tipping the scales heavier and heavier again (I was fat for a few years in college, but lost a lot of the weight my senior year, prior to getting sick.)

I got better and, as evidenced by my 1 year + running, was having no problems breathing. (Even my 10 day stint as a smoker earlier this year was really nothing. I was barely even inhaling because it hurts to do so.) So I am a bit nervous when I’m having pains on breathing deeply when running. I hope this is a temporary problem that will go away after a week or two running. If not, back to the doctor, but I don’t think I will ever go back onto steroids. I don’t want to get moon-faced again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

honey its ok we all gain this time a year u will lose it again!

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home