Monday, January 09, 2006

Now I'm smelling like bourbon flavored pork rinds in the government cheese line

After another great Steelers victory, I ended eating some ham & cheese last night, with this wonderful low carb philly beef & vegetables soup. It was truly a very good soup, and I’m not the biggest soup fan. I had some green beans (french style, a particular favorite of mine) to boot. And, just cause I know some people will cringe, I ad some crunchy pork rinds last night. I know what pork rinds are, so please don’t try to explain them to me. I love them, though. I once watched a special when I was young on how mayonnaise is made, and it seems to include many portions of oil & egg yolk, and it looks horrifying to watch, but I’m not giving up mayonnaise anytime soon, and I won’t give up pork rinds anytime soon. It’s not like I eat them at every meal, but sometimes I like something crunchy to munch. Usually I have Soy Chips (www.snydersofhanover.com/Pages/Bakery%20Selections/products_soycrisps.html)in the cupboard, but they are too addictive, and I can’t just eat a handful of them. I end up eating them by the bagful at one sitting.

So far today, I’ve had some cheese sticks and cashews for some energy early on in the day, more Egg Beaters & cheese for a mid-morning snack, and a Chicken BLT salad from Wendy’s at lunch. Feeling good so far today.

Since I don’t have a scale, Carl asked me this weekend how I would know when this diet/exercise regimen was working. I will know from the way I feel. I might go to my parents every few weeks and check on how it is going, but I will know whether I’ve lost weight or not just by being around myself every day. I know what it felt like to be fat, to get out of breath from sitting on my couch and bending over to tie my shoes with my big belly being in the way. I will know by how clothes are fitting. But more important, I will be healthier no matter how much actual weight I lose.

And every once in a while I will weigh myself. But I fear that if I keep checking weight, I will again be able to talk myself into any food as a “reward” for losing a pound or two. I’ve done it before, where I will look at some food and think “Well, I’ve lost a pound this week, I deserve to eat this cheesecake,” and next thing I know I’ve downed ½ of the entire cheesecake! So I’ve decided not to have any scale at my house for the foreseeable future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home