Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I promise you anything; get me out of this hell. Cold turkey has got me on the run

With some lingering ankle problems, and not having run as much in the past month, I only ran 20 minutes yesterday after work, 2 miles total. I had some cramps, but it was the throbbing ankle that made me slow down.

I ate quite well yesterday, with fruits in yogurt & fruit in cottage cheese for breakfast, a chicken burrito & mango for lunch, and some minestrone soup, asparagus and a veggie cheeseburger for dinner. It was about 1400 calories after the ice cream sandwich snack at night.

After cleaning up a bit last night, I sat down to watch some TV. With nothing new or interesting on (and since I devoured all 12 episodes of “Dexter” while on vacation last week) I decided to peruse the On Demand option from Comshaft. As there was nothing else on, I watched an episode of “Intervention.” For those uninitiated, this is a show where the cameras follow around addicts (drug/alcohol) as the family prepares to have an intervention. It seems unclear to me, but I think the show will pay for the 90 day rehab at different rehab facilities. This is only the second episode I’d ever seen.

Anywho, I was watching last night, and it was a story of Tim, a really, really hot guy who was addicted to crack and his really, really hot girlfriend Madyson (spelled that way, too, and lead singer in a band) who was not addicted to crack, but enabled him to be addicted to crack while he was running her musical career. The cameras followed him as he smoked crack, forgot things, acted like a paranoid freak, felt sick one minute and fine the next minute, attacked his girlfriend’s father for money, and then ended up lying in a sewage pipe crying his eyes out until the producer coaxed him out.

As I said, this was the second time I’ve seen an episode of this show. The first time was about 2 months ago, and I cried like a baby as the 2 people profiled went through their addiction, and then the family intervened, and they both went to rehab. I thought that the families handled it well but strong, told both of them that if they didn’t stop using now, the relationship, whatever it was, would end. I thought these people were real, dealing with real problems.

On this episode, it just seemed so fake. Not the crack smoking, but the whole thing seemed contrived. First off, Madyson was 20 years old, and Tim was 8 or 9 years older than her, and she was so intent on taking care of him. Secondly, he had some early success in his life as a singer/musician with Electra Records, and she wanted to have success of any kind in the music business. It made me think that she was using him to run her career, and when he turned into crack-boy, she still wanted him to be her break into the business we call show. Also, after his own parent’s threw him out for crack addiction, her parents let him move into their house 18 months prior to the show, which meant Maddy (as he called her) was all of about 18 years old at the time he moved into her house.

Alright, so I am a liberal guy and all, but allowing your 18 year old daughter’s 26 year old, crack addicted boyfriend to move in AFTER HIS OWN PARENT’S KICKED HIM OUT is a serious red flag. This is clear that there is a problem. But then, the parents said “We thought Tim would be able to help Madyson get to that next level in her career…” and trailed off. That is when my own red flag raised about these people.

When Tim was in the sewer, in his agony and pain of withdrawal and crying over the heart ache of possibly losing his Madyson, he stopped crying, turned around and made sure the camera was still on him. REG FLAG!

It was so fake looking that I started laughing at all the hyperbole. (These are all paraphrasing as I have no patience to watch it again and get the lines exact, and I am not wasting any time looking up transcripts online.)

Tim: “I’d rather die than live without Maddy.” (Although he’d rather smoke crack then be with Madyson.)

Madyson: (to the Intervention Counselor) “Tim is my whole life, and I love him so much, I can’t promise not to see him again if this intervention fails” (Unless he can’t help my music career, then I’ll drop him like a booger.)

Tim: (singing the song he wrote in rehab to Madison) “You gave me reason to stop and live.” (Until I can get out of this place and score myself some crack!)

Madyson: “If he could stop using, we’d be able to live a normal life.” (A normal life where he helps me make millions by signing with my boobs pushed out.)

It was utterly pathetic. It made me that this was all going to be used as a publicity stunt to make their musical careers take off. It made me think that, if Tim got clean and sober, they would release and album called “Love Got Me Clean & Sober” and somehow every talk show would show images from the show of Maddy trying help him, and Tim sleeping in the sewers. And they would be on Oprah telling how tough it was, and they have proof as A&E watched him smoke crack. And he’d write several songs about how hard it was to quit crack.

And then I’d have to vomit right there in my living room. Or hunt them and then vomit on them. And as much as that would help me lose weight, it wouldn’t be worth it.

After rehab, Tim went back to live with Madyson and her parents, went back to smoking crack, was kicked out and moved back into his parents house, and hasn’t seen Madyson since February 2006. The final note of the show was that Tim says he hasn’t used crack since September 26, 2006. Of course the show originally aired in December, so I am not hopeful.

I don’t understand addiction. I live a normal life, pay my bills, own a home, try to exercise and eat right, help take care of my family, and have never been tempted by crack, meth, heroin, speed or any other illegal drug. And I’ll never be on Oprah and be told how brave I am for not doing drugs. Even though I’ve never done it. Ever.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never done illegal drugs. Some are legal in Amsterdam. Wait, that was me smoking in Amsterdam.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work with Tim and hes is still the crying baby bitch that always thinks his life is more important than the business and has actually tried to take a computer out of the office in the fashion as intervention. He is are supposed IT staff and being trained in IT myself its like watching a retarded monkey fix a computer. In other words he has no clue what he is doing. I looked at his saved websites and they are all about how to do stuff on PC's. He has not changed one bit. He actually did disappear and go smoke crack and is dating some girl that is convinced she will get a music career from Tim. So sad to bad.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Penny Lane said...

I just recently saw her FB page while looking for an update. She never got back with him. He’s such a loser. But I’ve seen plenty of episodes of Intervention and Intervention Canada and this was the only episode that seemed contrived so I think it was down to the couples attempt at fame and fortune using the show as a jumping off point. She is happily married and doesn’t seem to be in the music business at all. I ascribe that whole stunt as youth on her part and severe immaturity on his part. And going by the post written by anonymous it seems he’s not grown up at all. And I always figured that he wouldn’t. If you’re that narcissistic in your mid to late 20s it rarely if ever changes. Check out the episode about Christie. She’s a meth addict and alcoholic and a stripper living in the back of her late grandmothers house. She’s a complete mess. You’ll be convinced that the show is not fake as it appeared to be with Tim and Madyson. And I agree wholeheartedly about her parents. Why would you allow that grown man to move into your home with your teenage daughter when he’s already such a nightmare addict that he’s own parents kicked him to the curb. They’re supposed to protect her from that, not move it into her bedroom!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just want to know why this self righteous person feels he/she has the right to leave this comment on the documentary as if his/her thoughts on the story or addiction are FACT. The person admits to never having an addiction, and although I haven't had addiction either, I wouldn't speak on the subject as if I know everything about it. It's just a stupid, self-centered article. We could all do without unresearched comments like this

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home