Monday, May 07, 2007

Eager for action and hot for the game

The weekend went well enough for me. I worked long hours at the movie theater Friday & Saturday with the crowds of Spiderman 3. The crowds weren’t as big as I’d like to see, but they were big enough.

I had a slight run-in with the co-worker who used the word “faggot” a few weeks back. Turns out she’s a former crackhead, and is moving to Kansas in two weeks to get away from her crackhead roommates (crackhead – hyphenated, two words or one word? I am using it all as one word.) When I finally had to come out and tell her I was gay, she said “No you’re not.” And later, after she finally kind of believed I was gay, she asked why I would do that? I had to explain to her that being a homosexual, unlike, say, smoking crack, isn’t a choice. I was born this way, unlike people who do drugs who choose to do drugs. It was an enlightening weekend for my dear crackhead co-worker.

Sunday I had my first softball game, so I woke up a little early to prepare breakfast (plain, fat free yogurt and mixed berries) and then got on the treadmill for 10 minutes. I only ran about 1 mile, but it was good to get back on the treadmill, not the least to prove that it still worked right. I was out of breath quickly, but I did alright. If I was a contestant on American Idol, Randy would have said that I “was a little pitchy” at the beginning, but then I “did my own thing” and “worked it out” by the end. Paula would have told me that my new silver Reebok running shoes were a bold but fantastic choice to go with the classic black running shorts. Simon would have told me that, as he is only keeping it real, it was absolutely horrible, and he’s seen people in karaoke bars run faster, longer and harder than I just did, and that this is a running competition, not a slow jogging or fast walking or heavy breathing/coughing competition. And then Ryan would come in and ask America to vote for me, and I would hold up a number “1” to let those Americans who can’t read numbers that I was the first contestant. I so think I could win something like that.

At softball, I did quite well, if I say so myself. My first at bat I hit a dinky little single to the left side, I assume it went by the shortstop as I barely hit it off the handle of my bat with the inside pitch. I hit into a fielder’s choice in the third inning but did score. It was in the fourth inning that I hit a monster shot that went over the head of the right center fielder. I ran as fast as my fat legs would take me, and the third base coach told me to hold up at third, but I’d already decided I was going home. With about 10 feet to go I saw the ball coming from my left side and I resigned to be out, but the catcher couldn’t handle the ball and I was called safe. In the sixth inning I hit a high blast, and though it was very high up, it was about 15 feet past the shortstop, but since my last "home run" blast, the outfielders were playing deep and the shortstop was backpedaling too much and it fell in for a single.

In the field I did well, no errors and caught everything I was supposed to catch, stopped the groundballs I was supposed to stop. We were winning 12-4 going into the 5th, but then we walked a few, gave up a few hits and generally started stinking. After giving up 5 runs, I threw out a runner at second base when he was lollygagging from first on a groundball. I played up a bit and the ball was hit just behind second base. We ended the 5th still leading 12-11, and we made it stick till the end, winning by that score.

Overall, a good ending to a good weekend. I spent the rest of Sunday sorting through my pictures from Thailand, trying to figure out which 300 to print for the photo album. I know that sounds like a lot, but I want enough pictures to represent the trip, but not to overwhelm with little things. 100 pictures per week we were there seems like a fair number. I guess I will see when I finally get them in the photo album and start showing them off.

Other than that, tonight I get back on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes, though I am guessing a lot of that time will be spent walking briskly instead of out and out running. But I will do that 5 times this week, while trying to eat better and better, and I will be back on track.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home