Thursday, May 24, 2007

Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup. There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost

It what should have been my best softball game ever turned into probably the worst night of playing I’ve ever been involved.

In the first inning of the first game, I hit a 2-run home run over the fence. In full disclosure, it is a short porch in right field, about 280 feet, but no one else hit one over that fence for the rest of the evening, and that includes Eric, our big left hander who usually can hit them pretty hard.

However, once I took my position in right center, I stunk up the place. Misplayed balls into doubles, triples & home runs, overthrew the cut-off and let runners advance, lost 2 balls in the lights that should have been caught, and once, when the ball hit the ground and went the wrong way, I caught it with my throwing hand, immediately thought I’d broken my thumb, dropped the ball and swore like a sailor. Unfortunately, that allowed one runner to score and the 2 other runners to advance a base, where they scored easily on the next batter that I misplayed into a double.

Sadly, what most of the problem, as far as I can see it, was that I usually am a bit more aggressive when playing the outfield. I play up or over when I know someone has a tendency to hit there. Last year, if someone hit somewhere else they usually didn’t, my speed was able to make up for any bad positioning. Last night, I learned that I don’t have the speed currently to make up for my over-aggressive defense.

They moved me over to left center field, and just to be completely embarrassed, the left fielder & I ran into each other, with the ball going over each of our gloves, having played another ball for a home run.

Well, my hitting is better. I am getting more level of a swing (after the home run, of course.) But going 7 for 10 means nothing when you lose by 15 runs in the first game and 9 runs in the second game.

Oh, and the worst part of the evening is that the new left fielder of the other team is a hottie, and then I found out he is straight. Fuck that, I want only homos playing in my league. Especially if they are hot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home