Tuesday, February 07, 2006

We are the champions...of the world!!

I will have to admit that my interest in writing this blog has decreased since I am not running currently. NordicTrack has taken their sweet time in getting the part to me…and sweet time obviously means more than the 3-5 days they quoted me. Today will mark day 7 (or day 8 if last Tuesday was day 1), and their customer service number is always a long hold time. So last night I called again and some other rep got on the phone and asked me to give them a phone number where I could be reached as they are busy. Well, I said I wanted to keep holding (the joys of a Vonage phone is that I can hold for hours and not be charged an extra nickel) but the rep said that wasn’t possible.

So here I am. I ran for 14 minutes last Monday before I broke the machine and I haven’t run since then. I’ve done some strenuous stuff (cleaning bathroom ceiling to floor can make a guy sweat) but not running. Not happy about this, but still can’t seem to bring myself to run outside. I keep hoping that the part will show up and the technician will show up and I can just get running. I hate speed bumps in the road!

Food has been my regular food from last Thursday through the weekend except for Super Bowl Sunday! Not only did I chomp down two slices of pizza, I ate a piece of the Triangle Hoagie, then sucked down what turned out to be 5 beers. These were very good Raspberry Ale beers, but still full of calories and carbs. But that is all OK because:

Pittsburgh Steelers are Super Bowl Champions!!!!

I don’t want to hear the whining from Seattleites or Seahawk fans or whoever about the officiating, the Steelers have won Super Bowl XL and you can’t take that away! I live in the city of the 2005 World Champions! The 3 rivers are flowing with black & gold, baby boomer steel workers from the 70’s Steelers are able to share their joy with the young technophiles and all is right with the Steelers Nation after a 25 year drought.

Oh yeah, did I mention that Pittsburgh is still a bankrupt city that has to have the state oversee it’s finances that has sadly fucked up so much that the Penguins probably will be leaving in the next year or so as there will be no new arena? I think that a new Arena would be a good thing for the region in general, not just for the hockey team, but we seemed to have spent all of the money allotted to us for the new football stadium (Heinz Field) new baseball park (PNC Park) and the new convention center (David L. Lawrence Convention Center) and there is no money left for an arena.

We also have gambling coming to Pennsylvania, but no one wants to award the Pittsburgh gambling license to a developer that has guaranteed that he would build a new arena. We want to give the license to Harrah’s, a corporation that has given the most money to Pennsylvania politicians in the past 3 years, and who isn’t going to give a new arena to the area.

I don’t understand why we can’t get a privately funded arena with some infrastructure help from local & state governments. It has worked elsewhere (See Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Nationwide Arena in Columbus, or the MCI Center in Washington DC) and I can’t imagine that something along this line could be profitable in Pittsburgh. And we have no good places to see live music in the winter in this city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home