Friday, July 07, 2006

The trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers

Last night I was in pain while running. I don’t know why, but I got a bad cramp on my side and it just kept getting worse. But I ended up doing the full 30 minutes, only getting to 2.5 miles though. I have noticed every once in a while I get these cramps in my side when I run, so I hope that I can get past these. I plan on running most every day from now until I leave for Edmonton on August 8.

My eating since I’ve come back so far has been good. I am not keeping a written diary of all the foods I eat this week, but I have kept mental note and have been able to stay under 1600 calories each day. So far. Now comes the tough part, the weekend. I work tonight & tomorrow night, and then have All Star festivities starting Sunday. To stay on the diet is going to be difficult, but I must be up to it.

So while I was in Rome I realized something. It has taken me 8 years, but I think I want to be with someone. I know that sounds silly, and I think the only reason I even wrote that is that I am certain that no one else is really reading this anyway.

I spent my 20’s in 3 relationships, basically one after the other. Sean, my first real boyfriend, was great, but was years younger than me. So as I was getting into my early 20’s and wanted to find out what it would be like to settle down with someone, Sean wanted to keep sowing his oats and find out how many men he could convince to put their penis inside him. We still talk from time to time nowadays, but when I was just past my 23 birthday, we broke up.

Then came Joe. Joe was 5 years older than me, and he was great. He was smarter than me, cuter than me, more domestic than me and my family loved him. We spent almost 5 years together, but it wasn’t to be. We weren’t that compatible, either sexually or domestically. His idea of living together was sometimes skipping paying bills on time, and this meant sometimes rent, and my idea was to pay your bills. Also, he cheated on me, and I tried dealing with that afterwards but had trouble with it.

And finally Toby, and I think I’ve gone on and on about Toby so you know that we aren’t compatible in any way outside of the bedroom. And he is now living, thankfully, in Chicago, and wants to stay there. And he was a total leach when we dated and lived together.

So after I booted Toby from being a boyfriend, I really wanted to float through life hooking up every once in a while but not being tied down to anyone. I wanted to be free, single and on my own. I wanted to be responsible for only me.

I remember at one point when I was with Joe thinking how I was so tired of being responsible for him, making sure that his bills were paid. He had a car that broke down, but he was still paying on the loan. He didn’t have a Driver’s License at the time, so no hurry to get the car fixed. Well, he put it in self storage, and there were at least 3 times where he went 90 days in arrears paying the rent on self storage. One time the company actually sent a letter advising that the contents were sold so don’t bother contacting them. I had to rush down to the storage place and put all my money into getting rent current.

With Toby, he lived at my place for 6 months before getting a job or money of any kind, and then he was actually upset when I asked him to pay bills. So finally, I kicked him out.

I spent the first few years dating a few guys here and there, but it was mostly sex. I wanted to travel the world and I wanted to do it alone.

(To be clear, the world traveling has nothing to do with sex. I’ve never had sex on a different continent than North America. I am not a sex tourist, and I have no desire to be one. Sex is fun, but it isn’t necessary for me to fly 5,000 miles to get laid, even to hear my name screamed in a different language.)

As I was walking in Rome, I saw three different gay couples, one lesbian and two male couples. And it made me think how fun it would be to travel with someone else, but not just a friend. Don’t get me wrong, love traveling with a friend, but I kept thinking how it would be great to share some things with someone else.

The problem is that I’ve spent so much time on my own, I don’t think I know how to even start looking for someone to date anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home