Monday, August 07, 2006

No time for losers, cause we are the champions...

3 things to talk about in my 100th post before I leave on vacation.

Yes, I can’t believe I’ve made it to post # 100. I was certain I’d give up long ago, not just on posting here but on actual running. I have surprised myself in keeping up with both, and I am happy. And healthier.

Secondly, I ate horribly over the weekend but exercised well. I mean the worst kind of binge eating possible. I don’t know if it was due to the upcoming trip or if I was feeling especially invulnerable because I have been regularly hitting 3 miles on the treadmill.

Either way, starting tomorrow, I will be in Edmonton and riding a bike everywhere, so that should be helpful. The only thing that might slow me down is if it rains too much in Edmonton, which is a possibility. If it rains, I won’t be riding the bike too much. I’ll take a cab, and there is rain in the forecast. Let’s just all hope it isn’t too much.

But the big news – My softball team won the league championship yesterday afternoon! We took down our opponent easily enough, considering all things. Our league has a mercy rule, 15 runs after 5 innings. In the bottom of the 6th, I scored the 18th & final run, making it an 18-3 victory. This is the second week in a row that I scored the winning run in the playoff game, as last week I scored the winning run in the bottom of the last inning.

I went 2 for 4, scoring two runs, 3 RBI’s (one of my outs was a nice sacrifice fly) and I had 5 put outs in left center field, including one real deep fly ball I caught while the cleat of my back leg didn’t catch and I slowly slipped into an almost split, which was quite painful. Of course, I also am responsible for 2 of the other teams three runs when I bent over to scoop up a grounder into the outfield in the first inning…and didn’t put my glove to the ground and it scooted right by me.

I know it isn’t a big deal as we have a small league, but it is about time I was on a winning team. I started playing in the league 10 years ago, and the first two years I was on the championship team. And now I’ve gone 8 years since the last one. It just seems that chances are I would have been in one sooner. Well, It just makes me appreciate it more now, right?

So there you have it. My 100th post, 7 ½ months after I started, 40-some pounds lost, and one of my stated goals for losing weight and running, being a better softball player, has worked out. Yeah me.

Posting will be light if at all while I am gone. Full report next week when I return from the Edmonton Folk Music Festival.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home